The learner’s licence is not a permanent license. The purpose of the learner’s license is to give authority to a person who wants to learn to drive a vehicle on the open road. The validity of the learner’s license is only for six months.
A valid Driving Licence gives you the right to drive a vehicle on the road according to the rules of the Indian Transport Department. If you want to drive any vehicle on the road, then you will need a driving license. Driving licence is vital and official identity proof accepted by the Government of India.
Earlier, you had to visit the RTO office many times to get a driving license, but now it is not so. Now you can apply for a driving license online.
If you have not yet got a license even once, then you must first get a learner’s license. Only after getting a learner’s license, then you can apply for a permanent license.
Who can apply for a learner’s license?
You must be 18 years of age to get a driving license. To get a driving license, you will need your Aadhaar card as these documents.
Sixteen years of age for a 2 wheeler with no gear is valid subject to the consent of the parents
Under Rule 8 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rule-1989, the applicant was required to have at least an eighth pass to get a driving license. Now the Road Transport Ministry has changed this rule. The Ministry has said in its notification that Rule 8 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rule-1989 has been removed through the eighth amendment. That is, even illiterate people can get a driving license.
How to Apply for a learner’s licence?
- To apply for a learner’s license online, visit the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Government of India, https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice10/stateSelection.do.
- Select your state from the window. It will open a new page.
- See the option “New Learning Licence “on the left side and click on it.
- Fill in the details on the form, which will open your screen. –
- Applicants should take a print of the duly filled-in ONLINE application along with the reference number and submit it at the chosen RTO office.
- After filling out the form, a number will appear on the screen, copy and save it. After this, you have to upload the documents proof of age, address proof, ID proof.
- Next, you have to upload your photo and signature. For this, select “Application Status” and enter the application number. Click on ”photo and signature” shown as pending and upload both
- Next, you should book a slot for the test for your learner’s license to click on “Appointments (slot booking)>>”Learner’s licence Test” link.
- After selecting the slot, you will have to pay the fee.
By clicking on the pending payment flow and making the payment
On parivahan.gov.in > home page > select State > click on the payment link and select E-payment> Application fee. After this, a message will come on your mobile. Save that message.
If the online fee payment facility is not available for some RTOs, pay the fees at the concerned RTO cash counter.
- After paying the fee, go to the RTO office according to the fixed slot and give the test. You should carry the required documents as shown on the acknowledgment slip. You should also carry a copy of the fee receipt.
The validity of Learner’s Licence
Once you get a learner’s licence you can start your driving practice on the public road accompanied by a permanent driving licence holder.
The Learner’s Licence is valid throughout India for a period of 6 months only. In the case of the expiry of the Learner Licence, the applicant needs to repeat the process afresh. Apply for a driving licence before your Learner Licence expires and complete the driving test.